About Us

our beliefs

Doctrine is important to the congregation of Northside Bible Chapel. The Bible refers to the church as the pillar and foundation of the truth (1 Timothy 3:15). Since the beginning of Northside Bible Chapel, we have endeavored to have unity in essential beliefs (Ephesians 4:4-6) Above all, we desire to maintain love toward each other

(1 Corinthians 13:2, Ephesians 4:15). View our beliefs and principles here.(.pdf format)

History of Northside Bible Chapel

In the early 1900s, some of the pioneer evangelists arrived in the town of Barrie and held Gospel meetings. As a result, several families were saved and formed an assembly, meeting in the homes of the believers. After a few years, under the leadership of Walter Cameron, John W. Gossling, and Walter Havercroft, the Christians decided to have a permanent meeting facility. In 1928, Grace Gospel Hall, at 37 Mary Street in downtown Barrie, ON, was opened with approximately 40 to 50 in fellowship.

In 1932 a split occurred with about 75% of the people leaving to form a new assembly. From 1932 to 1945, Grace Gospel Hall continued at 37 Mary Street with Mr. and Mrs. Walter Cameron, Ida Cameron, Mr. and Mrs. Donald Cameron, John W. Gossling, Walter Havercroft, Ben Knapp, Mary Brock and Mr. and Mrs. Garnet Soules in fellowship. After 1945, the assembly grew, reaching 24 in fellowship by 1958.

The Sunday school work was very large and well run by Ida Cameron and Mary Brock. Ida taught for many years and had both Irene and Joanne Prince as students. If you were absent, Ida sent you the Sunday school paper and a stick of gum. If you were present, you got your paper and a Jersey Milk chocolate bar in a sealed envelope. Mary arrived every Sunday with a taxi cab full of children for Sunday school. Donald and Jean Cameron brought two and three car loads of children in from the country. There were always 60 to 75 children in attendance. Ida Cameron also played the pump organ. The Gospel meetings on Sunday evenings were sparsely attended.

It was not too long before the downtown location was no longer suitable. The building was small with not much room for parking. Royce Martin encouraged the congregation to move out and into a better area. Jack Martin found a lot on Gunn Street adjacent to a corner lot with a house on it. The house would later be occupied by Mr. & Mrs. Norman Kion. The Mary Street property was sold in the spring of 1959 and the Gunn Street property was purchased. Several of the men looked at various halls and chapels in southern Ontario to get ideas for the design. It was decided to change the name to Northside Bible Chapel. The desire to proclaim the whole Bible, not only the gospel, was felt and they were moving to what was then the north end of the city.

Work commenced in early summer. All the able-bodied men pitched in and the women provided hot lunches for all who came to help. Clinton Rayfield from West St. Gospel Hall, in Orillia, ON, acted as general contractor and also very generously donated the kitchen (the small room at the north end of the basement). Others from West St. also helped. The project was really blessed as Archie Gavin, a skilled carpenter and house builder, donated his time. Each evening George Bishop and Lester Prince worked until 9 p.m., as well as Saturdays, doing much of the carpentry work. It was wonderful to look forward to a larger auditorium, kitchen, 2 bathrooms and a basement.

When the Mary St. building had to be vacated at the end of November, the Breaking of Bread and Sunday school were held in Oakley Park School and the Wednesday evening Bible study in various homes. Evening service was discontinued for the time being. The Chapel opened at the beginning of January, 1960. The basement wasn't finished, but the upstairs was. Work continued on the basement and kitchen area. The meetings were: Sunday school at 9:30; Breaking of Bread at 11:00 and Gospel meeting at 7:00 pm. After Sunday school, the chairs were re-arranged in a square for the Breaking of Bread, and then re-arranged again for the evening meeting.

The people coming from Mary Street to form the nucleolus of Northside included: Donald & Jean Cameron with children Mary, Nancy, Caroline & Donald, Mr. & Mrs. Garnet Soules, Ben Knapp, Mary Brock, Esther May, Mr. & Mrs. Walter Havercroft, George and Anne Bishop, Lester & Irene Prince with children Joanne, Robert, Doreen & David, Mr. & Mrs. Edward Prince, Royce & Leona Martin with children David, Paul, Brenda & Cheryl, Mr. & Mrs. Max Morris with daughter Esther, Jack & Chrissie Martin with children Bonnie, George, Grace & Jean, Bruce Hicks and Sunday school children including Donna Berry, Linda & Karen Taylor and David, Donnie and Joan Castell.

During the summer, Don Cameron resigned as Treasurer and George Bishop was asked to take on the position. Garnet Soules resigned as Sunday school superintendent around the same time and since no one else wished to replace him, George agreed to do it on a temporary basis until the Lord provided someone more suitable. For many years, George looked after the Treasurer's duties, Sunday school Superintendent and building maintenance. Anne was also overseer for much of the instrumental music and children's productions. The expression:Go ask George, he'll do it!" was more truth than fiction.

The official opening was on March 20, 1960 which brought in 100 people to remember the Lord and enjoy a one day conference with Ray Fox, an evangelist from Trenton, ON.

Beginning around 1967, and for many years after, a lot of the necessities for the operation of the building and Assembly suppers were looked after by Bruce and Helen Hicks.

Around 1971, the corner property was purchased from Norman and Mae Kion. This property included a small home which was used for Sunday school rooms and nursery. It also allowed for additional parking. As the attendance grew, it became obvious further expansion was necessary. Seating for services was so limited that those at the back of the auditorium had to sit in the clothes closet. Running back and forth to the house for children was not practical during the winter and on rainy days. It seemed wise to tear down the house and put an addition onto the present building.

In April 1978, the Assembly was blessed with the arrival of the James Comte family from Nova Scotia. Jim and his wife Heather were commended to full time work for the Lord from an assembly in Montreal. They have laboured much in the work at Northside. They have ministered to the young and old alike, being involved in hospitality, eldership, most weddings, funerals and children's ministries.

The new addition was completed in 1980 with a ribbon cutting ceremony by Bruce Hicks, George Bishop and David McClelland. It was an exciting time as the assembly enjoyed ministry by James Gunn and Jim Comte. A dinner was held and an evening of gospel music was presented by the Watchmen Quartet. The addition included an office, foyer, washrooms, new kitchen and a new auditorium. The former auditorium became a youth and multi-purpose facility.

With the completion of the addition, more outreach was possible. The work was expanded to include the AWANA program, DVBS, young people's facilities, suppers, special music nights, Christmas cantatas, ladies missionary facilities and a much needed new nursery and office.

Northside has been well blessed with good solid leadership over the years. Brethren who have been faithful to the Word of God have overseen the work and still to this present day the saints enjoy shepherding that is vital to maintain a good testimony